What you'll learn
Course objectives and personal objectives
The transition to management
- What's expected of you as a manager
- Management and leadership
- Who do you think you are?
- Developing your self-awareness
- Emotionally intelligent management
- Understanding your own management style
Communication skills for management
- The impression you create
- Being assertive
- Understanding and working with others' communication styles
- Influencing verbally and non-verbally
Thinking skills for management
- Critical thinking
- Reflective thinking
- Logical thinking
- Lateral thinking
- Creativity, problem solving and decision making
Managing your use of time
- Your use of time – the ‘work map'
- Work-life balance – the ‘wheel of life'
- Allowable and disallowable interruptions
- Taking back control of your time - learning to say ‘no'
- Helping others to manage their time more effectively
- Understanding your own and others' motivations
- Creating a motivating environment
Managing difficult behaviours and conflict
- What drives people's behaviours and what to do about it
- Dealing with conflict
- Helpers and barriers
- A framework for effective delegation
- Team dynamics and team management
- Managing virtual (geographically scattered) teams
- What drives change at work
- Reactions to change
- Tools for managing change
- An end to the ‘positive sandwich'!
- Two powerful models for structured feedback
- Feedback practice
- What is coaching?
- The coaching relationship
- A framework for coaching
- Coaching practice
- Benefits and barriers
- Developing your networking skills
- Working a room
- Your elevator pitch
- Online networking
Action planning and next steps
- Where do you go from here?